The electrical panel in your home serves as the core of its electrical system. It distributes power to various circuits and safeguards your home from electrical overload. Over time, as technology advances and our electricity needs grow, upgrading the electrical panel to ensure safety and efficiency becomes necessary. In this blog, we will delve into the indicators that suggest the necessity of upgrading your electrical panel, the benefits of doing so, and the essential considerations during the process.
Signs that Indicate a Need for an Electrical Panel Upgrade
- Frequent Circuit Breaker Tripping: If you find yourself constantly resetting circuit breakers or experiencing frequent power outages, it’s a clear sign that your electrical panel might be overloaded. It can happen if you’ve added new appliances or electronics to your home, causing an increased demand on your electrical system.
- Outdated Panel: If your home still has an older electrical panel with fuses, it’s likely time for an upgrade. Modern homes typically use circuit breakers instead of fuses, as they are safer and more convenient to reset.
- Insufficient Power Supply: Households equipped with 100-amp electrical panels might struggle to meet the power requirements of contemporary appliances, electronics, and HVAC systems. Upgrading to a 200-amp panel can provide the necessary power capacity to meet your household’s needs.
- Flickering Lights: Dimming or flickering lights when using certain appliances indicate voltage fluctuations and an inadequate electrical panel.
Benefits of Upgrading Your Electrical Panel
- Enhanced Safety: Enhancing your electrical panel can diminish the likelihood of electrical fires and mitigate other safety risks. Contemporary panels have advanced safety features like arc fault circuit interrupters, which offer supplementary protection.
- Increased Electrical Capacity: A larger electrical panel with higher amperage allows you to run more appliances and devices simultaneously without overloading the system.
- Energy Efficiency: Transitioning to a contemporary electrical panel can enhance energy efficiency, reducing electricity bills in the long run.
- Home Value: A properly maintained and upgraded electrical system enhances the value of your property, rendering it more appealing to prospective buyers should you opt to sell.
Considerations During the Upgrade Process
- Permit and Codes: Ensure you obtain the necessary permits for the upgrade and ensure the work complies with local building codes and regulations.
- Budget: Understand the costs associated with the upgrade, including materials, labor, and any additional electrical work that may be required.
- Hire a Professional: A licensed and experienced electrician should always perform electrical panel upgrades. Attempting a DIY upgrade can lead to safety hazards and code violations.
- Temporary Power Interruption: You may experience a temporary power outage during the upgrade process. Plan accordingly to minimize inconvenience.
Upgrading your home’s electrical panel is a crucial step in ensuring your electrical system’s safety, efficiency, and functionality. Signs such as frequent circuit breaker tripping, outdated panels, and flickering lights should not be ignored. The benefits of upgrading include enhanced safety, increased capacity, energy efficiency, and improved home value.
Contact Current Solutions Electric at (816) 430-2740, your trusted and experienced electrical services provider, if you’re considering an electrical panel upgrade. Our team of experts is proficient at evaluating your requirements, ensuring the upgrade is done safely and up to code, and providing you with a reliable and efficient electrical panel for your home. Don’t wait until electrical issues become a significant concern; upgrade your electrical panel and enjoy the peace of mind of a modern and safe electrical system.